As seen on primped.com.au
Now that New York Fashion Week is officially wrapped, we thought we’d ask hairstylist and owner of Raw Salon in Sydney, Anthony Nader, for his pick of the best shows. From windswept styles to braids, these are the looks we’ll all be sporting in the summer months. Get excited!
1. MICHAEL KORS
What I adored about this windswept look was that it’s just so achievable. It doesn’t intimidate. This hair shape is soft and feminine, and it works on a daily basis without too much effort.
YOUR HOW TO
1. Blast dry 80% of your freshly washed hair before applying a volume spray all over. Shake through hair to evenly distribute product.
2. Sweep over your deep side part and smooth the surface with your fingers.
3. Blast the rest of your hair dry by lifting out the root area with your fingers and over directing your dryer to ensure volume.
4. Now complete, gather the sides up from the front hairline and ears and bundle into a messy bun just below the crown area.
ANTHONY’S HANDY HINT – Don’t be precious about the loose free flowing tendrils that fall around your face as this is what makes your runway look current and not dated.
2. PROENZA SCHOULER
This may look like any other braid but upon closer inspection it’s so much more – it radiates a beautiful polished sheen unlike the other braids I’ve seen that are unkept and look like straw, and I just love the simplicity of this clean hair shape.
YOUR HOW TO
1. No need to wash your mane here, girls. Just grab your moisture cream and work that through damp hair and comb through evenly.
2. Place in your haphazard center part line and comb your strands clean and low, down towards your nape area and secure the base.
3. Ensure you comb your ends so they’re free of knots. Then, braid to the ends with tension, keeping each section clean (that’s the key here).
4. Secure the ends of the tail now and your good to go.
ANTHONY’S HANDY HINT – Don’t worry too much about sticking down your hair strands flat on your head as you want it to look relaxed and more natural.
There’s nothing more stunning than hair that looks and feels soft and healthy, and all the girls on the naturally-inspired runway stole the show for embodying “natural”. There’s not a lot of fuss going on here either, which I love, and hair isn’t over loaded with five different tubs to get this look, ’cause who has time right?
YOUR HOW TO
1. Wash your hair with the shampoo and conditioner that your hairstylist has recommended for your hair type.
2. Towel dry really well and spray a UV protecting leave-in conditioner all over, before combing through evenly.
3. Divide your hair into four even sections. Start at the bottom at the back and take medium sized sections and smooth over with your hairdryer and a medium sized radial brush.
4. Do this technique all the way up to the crown area and now do the same in the front. If you’re after a little more sheen, spritz some shine spray onto your midlenghts and ends.
ANTHONY’S HANDY TIP – Don’t spray your shine spray within 30cm of the area you want to target as you don’t want your roots looking oily. Remember less is more.
Donna Karen showed us this past week that you can combat the strong military look while also oozing femininity, which is a drawcard for my clients in the salon.
It’s a stronger hair shape at the front, but with the pop of colour on the lip and the hair flowing down around your shoulders, it creates a sense of yin and yang, and looks beautifully polished as well.
YOUR HOW TO
1. You can skip washing your hair here, going straight into creating your side part. Divide the back section away from ear to ear, and clip for now.
2. Starting just above your ear, swipe a thin layer of soft hold gel on the first couple of inches from the roots and using the thin teeth of your comb, direct each section tight to the head and behid the ear.
3. Keep doing this all the way up your head on both sides, keeping your sections tight and leaving out the mid lengths and ends.
4. Once smooth and groomed at the top, brush your mid lengths and ends and, if need be, smooth over with a styling iron for that sleek, straight finish.
ANTHONY’S HANDY TIP – Make sure you really over direct your part line this season as that’s what’s going to set you apart from the crowd. This part line is a statement and worn with confidence… remember that.
5. DIANE VON FURSTENBERG
I can’t tell you how much I adore big, wavy hair and Diane is the queen for big hair inspiration for me. There was an ’80s throwback with pretty florals and gorgeous colours that just didn’t seem real, and the hair…well let fill you in on how to get instant va va voom.
YOUR HOW TO
1. Wash your mane with a volumizing shampoo and conditioner and then towel dry really well. Blast dry 80% all over.
2. Squeeze out a tennis ball size of medium hold foam into your palms and scrunch that in, making sure you get the roots.
3. Divide hair into four and take in your desired side part and start blow-drying the back sections with a large radial brush. The way to get loads of body is by lifting up each section high.
4. Grab your hot tongs (approx 1 inch in diameter) and curl your hair from roots to ends all over, ensuring you wind the front section away from your face to get that beautiful flick.
5. Once cooled down you can brush out your curls and sculpt your side part smooth before placing in your floral side comb embellishment.
ANTHONY’S HANDY HINT – To make your big bodied waves last, clip each coil after you tong and then once your hair has cooled right down you can then take the pins out and brush out and style.